Diseases & Illnesses
This post is also available in: Dutch, French, German
Because prevention is better than cure, I would like to deal with how diseases and disorders can be prevented. If you want more information about the various ailments and diseases, you can click on the relevant disease and you will be redirected to a page about the particular disease or ailment provided.
If you still have to call for help from a qualified doctor poultry, please contact the Kippendokter
A number of precautions you can take to prevent diseases and ailments:
- Take care that you don’t have rideholes or rotten parts in your chickenhouse; treate it with kit or other special products!
- Whitene the chickenhouse with white primer
- Take care you regularly unworm your birds with for example Flubenol
- Take care you always have Baycox van Bayer in your refrigerator, when neccessary you can immediatly treate your babies against cocciodiosys ( you really have to handle very quickly, every minute counts with cocc. !
- Take care you regularly treate your chickens with Frontline Spray against lices/mites.
- Take care for a good hygiëne ( keep manurepile and breedingboxes clean of bird-shit, regularly clean the drinking water and also the drinkingbucket itself, etc)
- Take care for the right food( baby-chickens: babychickenfood, laying hens; food for laying hens)
- Take care your chickens are getting enough movement by letting them outside, scratching and so on. When you don’t have space for that, take care you give them things to enjoy, like hanging a playing-toy in the cage, where they can jump on. when they can not run outside, make sure they get enough exercise in the run, for example a hay rack to hang anything too high, so the chickens have to jump to the good grass to eat.
- Make sure the chickens anyway have a place daily where they cantake a sandbatch, it is very relaxing for the chicken and also seems to be good for lice and also fun to watch!
- Take care you regularly treate the feet of the chickens with vaseline( = petroleumjelly) against scaly/limelegs. When injected in a calcium advanced it is recommended to immerse the feet in a glass / cup filled with petroleum and then the legs well to smear with vaseline.
- In the freezing cold in winter you have to take care you regularly treate the comb and wattles with vaseline/ pertroleum-jelly to ensure that they won’t get frozen.
- Take care your hens will not be damaged too much by the cockerel ( because of his mating ) by using sadles on the right time! Read more about this under ‘chickensadles’.
- To get more info about several diseases/ problems: